Digital Marketing Intern, Donor Marketing Strategy
Are you interested in digital marketing? Do you want to contribute to a tangible initiative that will help raise the funds necessary to provide quality civic education to every student in America?
Founded in 2009 by Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, iCivics is the nation’s leading provider of civic education. iCivics’ proven effective resources are now used by more than 5 million students and nearly 150,000 teachers, in all 50 states. Our free resources for teachers and students include nearly 150 print-and-go lesson plans, interactive digital tools, and 19 award-winning online educational games.
In order to keep those resources free and broaden our reach to all 10 million middle and high school students, we need to raise funds to keep pace with technology, develop new, timely resources and market our range of resources to schools nationwide.
As such, this year, we are developing a multi-year fundraising strategy to reach our revenue goals by 2020. A key element of that strategy is a donor marketing strategy and this intern position will play a pivotal role is researching and developing that strategy with the Chief Development Officer. This is a significant project with the ability to make a long-term impact on the organization and you can be a part of that.
Our ideal candidate is someone who has a keen interest and at least some experience in digital marketing with an analytic and creative approach. As a small team with many staff posted remotely, we need someone with a positive, can-do attitude who can hit the ground running, as well as build relationships and learn quickly.
What You Will Learn:
- What it’s like to work in a fast-paced, high-impact, entrepreneurial non-profit environment.
- How to build productive working relationships with a small, partially remote, team of busy professionals.
- How to approach, gather and analyze relevant research as the basis for an effective marketing strategy.
- How to draw from that learning to form a strategic framework with ambitious, tangible goals.
- How to translate strategic objectives into specific projects with supporting plans, targets and key performance indicators.
- Best practice in online marketing techniques and messaging, specifically for non-profit donors.
- Plenty of additional opportunities in related projects.
What We Require:
- Background in Marketing, Communications, non-profit fundraising or other related discipline.
- Strong communication and analytic skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite Office.
- Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments.
- Creative and Flexible.
- Familiarity with social networking sites desired, but we will also train.
- Interest in non-profits or “making a difference”
Start and end dates flexible during the summer, however; we would like a commitment of at 10 hours per week for at least 6-8 weeks. The schedule can be flexible to accommodate other employment and may include some remote work as well by agreement.
Phase I: Research and Review
- Review and interrogate the results of recent email marketing testing and propose further areas to test, i.e. variable content;
- Review our existing branding and public communications from the perspective of new and existing donors, specifically the impact of imagery and audio visual assets, as well as written communications such as letters, proposals and case studies;
- Research other, relevant non-profit organizations with regard to their email and social media marketing (volume and content), the “donor journey” from first donation onward, as well as the content and structure of their web site as it appeals to new and existing donors;
- Research external on-line donation solutions such as givlet and just give, as a potential alternatives to redeveloping an in-house online giving solution with respect to comparable costs, ease of use, etc.
Phase 2: Contribute to development of multi-year donor marketing strategy and organization-wide re-branding initiative (assist with initial implementation as time allows).
Working with the Chief Development Officer, and other staff as required, you will make a real and tangible contribution to add to your resume and professional portfolio toward a comprehensive donor marketing strategy that compliments the overall organizational fundraising strategy.
The intended outcomes of this strategy will be:
- An email template and style guide for successful email communications to ensure consistency and build on research of most successful approaches;
- An annual email, social media and web calendar to ensure communications are refreshed and relevant throughout the year, especially at peak times for donors;
- An increase the volume and value of all online donations; particularly regular, monthly donations as part of a coordinated appeal;
- An increase in the “meaningful” traffic (i.e. longer visits and more pages visited in logical progression) to donor-specific areas of the website and conversion rate from donation form click-throughs to successful donation;
- An increase in the open rates of email communications, as well as click -throughs from calls to action embedded in emails, especially to donate;
- An increase in likes, shares and click-to-date rates from appeal specific social media posts.
Part-Time Finance and Operations Assistant
The responsibilities of the Finance & Operations Assistant cross a range of areas and will vary depending on the weekly priorities. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with coordination with external accountants on A/P processing and month end close
- Handle monthly credit card receipt coding and reconciliation
- Assist with Benefits Management and PTO tracking
- Support tracking and recording of development revenue
- Assist with donor correspondence, as required
- Assist with event coordination
Office and Admin Operations
- Support periodic recruiting efforts
- Assist with phone and email requests
- Support Executive Assistant with office operations
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 1-2 years finance experience ideal, as well as 1+ years supporting HR or office administrative functions
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks and adjust to changing priorities
- High attention to detail
- Proficient with excel and other MS Office tools
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to collaboration, transparency, and diversity
- Passion for the mission of iCivics; commitment to informing and engaging the next generation of citizens
- Associations degree required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Please send resume, cover letter, and a curricular writing sample, such as a lesson plan, student reading, or other instructional resource to email@example.com. Please include your last name and the job title in the subject line of your email.
Unfortunately, due to the volume of application packages we receive, we are not able to make personal contact with individuals who are not going to be invited in for interviews.
If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you to schedule a convenient date and time.
This position will be located at iCivics’ main office, which is located in the Inman Square area of Cambridge, MA.
iCivics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or political or other viewpoint in making any employment decisions.